Western Pacific Sanitation Marketing and Innovation Program - Fiji
The core strategy of the program is to support local community-based enterprises to effectively deliver sanitation and hygiene services to peri-urban and urban informal communities through development of supportive sanitation markets and enabling environments. A key mechanism for advancement of urban sanitation and innovation will be through empowering local communities and mobilising multiple change agents and creating partnerships between these. Environmental health risk to children from waterborne diseases is a key demand trigger, and an inclusive approach will ensure women will play a leading role and sanitation facilities are safe and accessible for people with disabilities, the elderly and children.
The project location is rural, urban and peri-urban villages and settlements in the Suva - Nausori corridor. Communities were selected with the Ministry of Health and DFAT Post in Suva according to the following criteria:
- Communities identified within service delivery priorities of Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Work, Transport and Public Utilities;
- Communities are at high risk from scabies, trachoma and thyroid;
- Live & Learn Fiji’s current links with and knowledge off communities through other projects;
- Acuteness of the sanitation and hygiene problems;
- Land tenure is secure;
- Communities located strategically advantageous for expanding sanitation markets
Click here for Live and Learn's project poster presented at the 2015 Pacific Regional Learning Event.
CS WASH Fund Highlights
|Location||Duration (MM/YY)||Working with||Key approach||Website|
|Location Pacific: Fiji||Duration 01-05-2014 to 01-06-2018||Working with Local private sector, National & Local governments, schools, community-based organisations||Key approach Sanitation Marketing||Website http://www.livelearn.org|